Monday, January 25, 2016

Back to printmaking

Not much happened this last week, being only the second week of school and all, but I do have some art to share. It's always a slow start at the beginning of each semester, and it helps that the first week was only 2 days and the second week only 3 days long. It's a nice way to ease back into school instead of taking a plunge into the frenzy that is undergrad. This week will be the first full week of classes, so I feel like things are about to get serious. 

One thing that just got serious is printmaking. I just started my first print! It had been a slow start since I haven't actually met with my professor yet. But since technically I can do whatever I want, I went ahead and started to carve. Walking into the printmaking room after all this time was magical, like walking into grandma's house after years of not being there. The smell of wood, ink, and whatever crazy chemicals that are used for lithography hit me and I couldn't help but smile and feel right at home. 

This is the hourglass I mentioned in last week's post. A black hole eating up stars, planets, the universe itself. 


I'm also taking a painting class this semester. I still have not decided how I feel about painting. I love paintings, looking at them, thinking about them and their creators; yet I'm not sure how I feel about my painting. It is a lot of work, it is difficult, time consuming, and I'm not very good at it. On the other hand, there is something hypnotizing and soothing about painting, and I feel so accomplished when I do finish a painting. Maybe this class will help me figure out how I really feel. Here are some doodles from last week. 

They look creepy because they don't have eyes. We were supposed to get the general feel of the head instead of focusing on details like eyeballs or nostrils. I apologize in advance for the nightmares. 


Lastly I'd like to share a little illustration I did. 
I came up with the pun while driving yesterday, and I had to draw it. 




Until next time! 




No comments:

Post a Comment