Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Where did the time go?

Quick post today, just wanted to share some of the art projects I've been working on. Lately it feels like time is both rushing by way too fast while simultaneously nothing happens. It's that time of the year: finals. 

Here is a digital painting I just finished and printed today. Look familiar? It is basically a scene from "Up," from the beginning montage of Carl and Ellie's life. I really love that montage, so much was said and felt in just a few short minutes. So I took that scene, kept the basic color palette and composition, but added in my own figures and did it in my own style. 

I wanted to keep that lovely nostalgia that's conveyed in these scenes. I originally wanted to modernize it, give them a smart watch and an iPhone, but then I decided that this scene was more about the nostalgia of the "good ol' days" and just chose another nostalgic era and made the characters a little younger. 

BTW the man is basically James Dean.   


Next I'd like to share a project that has basically consumed my life lately. The final product will be illustrations telling a story of a girl who moves to a new city, focusing on imagery and feelings of loneliness, especially loneliness within a crowd. Who here hasn't experienced that right? It's a special sort of loneliness, not the kind where you take a long drive by yourself, or the kind where you stay late to work while everyone else left, but instead the kind of loneliness where the more people are present, the lonelier you feel. 

To achieve this, I decided that I was not going to draw or paint anything. So photography was the logical choice. I created a couple of dolls to be my protagonists and I will be photoshoping them into pictures I take around town. 

Here are my models, each made of an aluminium wire skeleton, plumped up with aluminum foil, and given life with super scupley  and tiny clothes I sewed for them. 

These are pictures from the photo shoot I had with them. 

Yes, I sewed all those tiny dresses. And the tiny scarf.


She has tiny shoes, with laces, grommets and all. 


 Sitting on a sculpey box, it's basically play-doh for grown ups. She'll be on a bench later.


. Does that metal pill bottle look familiar? I was the trophy I made last semester. 


Talk again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment