Thursday, March 17, 2016

Spring Break Post

I hear today is also St. Patrick's Day, if I'm wearing one blue sock and one yellow sock is that close enough to green? No? Okay . . .

It has been a pretty good spring break so far, I finished a couple of projects, started a couple of new ones, went camping for the first time, and hung out with my mom. Unfortunately it's already Thursday, Spring Break is never long enough! 

I'd like to share some drawings I did while camping, since I don't often share stuff I do outside of school. 

This one of is B. reading after a very long hike. 



This is J. by the fire pit, I thought she was in a very interesting position, so I had to capture it. 

I like to ask people to give me an animal and an occupation, and then I draw the results. A firefighting squirrel, and a fish that's a forest ranger.




This is from a page of ideas for an upcoming illustration project, where we illustrate a poem titled "13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird." More on that later. 


This is my final poster design for "Design Culture Now." I'm pretty proud of it, it's so simple, yet eye-catching. 



Lastly, as promised, I have my final illustrations for that crazy long project I did two weekends ago. 

Again, this is a pretend article about a vegan restaurant in town, Lovin' Spoonfuls. I took some pictures of the place, the owner, and the amazing food, and recreated it with my new-found Photoshop skills. Every drawing was first done in pencil, and colored in Photoshop, a process far more arduous than I expected. But it was worth it. 

These two pages were also hung up in a display case in a hallway in the art building. All over the hallways there are various display cases were teachers put up their student's best work for a few weeks at a time. Not to brag (but yes to brag), both of my spreads got displayed, while most people only had one page up. Win.


Instead of the usual filler text, lorem ipsum, I created content with Yelp.com reviews of the restaurant. Which was very handy, because I could completely control the length of each paragraph and column, and make them fit in with my spot illustrations (that's the drawings of food). In the real world, with a real article, this would be much harder to achieve.  

That's it for now, talk again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment