Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Inktober: Day 6

     Yes, I know this is only my second drawing, but technically it's still the sixth day of Inktober.


     For today I have a little caricature of the twins, Ernest and Roy (Roy is the one with spiky hair, Ernest has curly red hair). These guys are cartoons I made up over the summer. At the time I had been listening to some podcasts and reading articles about freak shows in the 1800's and 1900's. You know the type, where people with tattoos, an extra limb, or who are very tall or short would travel around to go in front of audiences to "perform." Some actually enjoyed it well enough and made some good money out of it while others were forced into the work since they could not find a regular job or were just shunned by society at large. So I created Ernest and Roy, thought about their personalities, hobbies, and just imagined their life story a little. They will be a reoccurring theme in my art and maybe one day I will tell their full story. 

     I was originally inspired by this photo: 



     However, I have since learned that it is a photo trick, and not actual Siamese twins. I was both disappointed and glad. Yet there are such twins in this in this world, currently the most popular are Abby and Brittany Hensel. They became famous through their show on the network TLC (http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/abby-and-brittany/) and seem pretty happy and adjusted even if life has a few more difficulties for them.



     I am totally fascinated by people with not-so-common bodies, extra limbs, super stretchy skin, conjoined twins, and the like. Not that I want to gawk at them, I'm simple intrigued at the way nature goes a little weird sometimes. 

     Perhaps this will a theme for Inktober? 

Di. 




No comments:

Post a Comment